Monday, November 30, 2009

The Help

Last week was Thanksgiving and I had a pretty busy week. Monday & Tuesday I had to work. Tuesday night my family went out to dinner for my parents' 50th birthdays. I took the day off Wednesday to make a Turkey for a family my sunday school class decided to help out for the Thanksgiving Holiday. Thursday was Thanksgiving. And I spent Friday, Saturday & Sunday taking care of Michael, who got a cold, putting up the Christmas tree and finishing laundry.

I guess since I had a lot going on I couldn't really get settled enough to start a new book. I was lucky enough to have some time at the beginning of the week to finish The Help. This book was recommended to me and at first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. I didn't really pay much attention to what the book was about but thought I'd give it a shot. And I am so glad I did. It took me a few pages to get into the book, but once I did, I could not put it down. I was completely drawn into this story of black maids in the 1960's and the white women that employed them. I've seen plenty of movies and heard about racial segregation in the 1960's, but I've never considered
it from this point of view. I can only hope that if I had lived in this time, I would have been brave enough to stand up for what is right. I did not want this book to end. But it did and as I read the last few pages I could not help but notice the tears rolling down my cheeks.


I finally picked up another book to read last night: Last Kiss. Its been on my shelf for a while and I need to get some off to make room for new ones I seem to accumulate pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails